Remember not to ask these questions when buying!
1) Are your fish fresh? You should learn how to identify fresh and good quality fish. It should be whole, no red eyes, no foul odors, etc…
2) Are your crabs plumb? Fat crabs are heavy for its size. Weigh it by hand. Select heavy crabs and leave the lights. If the retailer never likes what you are doing, leave and find another vendor.
3) Which is the large egg? Most egg vendors label eggs – small, medium, large and extra large with corresponding price. Most of the eggs are underweight – extra large should be large and large should be medium.
4) Is that ground meat of high quality? mostly meat and not fat? Most ready ground meat are trimmings, fats and cartilages. Choose the meat yourself and ask him to grind it. Do not forget to keep an eye on him.
5) Is your tocino (etc.. ) preservative free? The seller answer will be Yes! However, he is not the processor. He never know if it has preservatives or none. He will still deny it if he knew.
6) Is there a red tide alert today? Its your responsibility to know it by watching the news everyday.
7) For general food. Is that delectable? Just buy a small package or a portion and taste it for yourself.
8) Is your weighing scale accurate? Base on my experience, most weighing scales have a deficit of one scale / about 50g grams if not mistaken. If in doubt, weigh the bought items at Timbangan ng Bayan. Report the culprit afterwards.
Please keep in mind that seller will never say anything bad about his product. He will tell the good points and hide the flaws.