I had a sudden meeting in Manila. On my way home, I did a quick stopped over in Raon and looked for a suitable geared motor the new cocoa bean cracker prototype.
Because my current motor often stops, I thought of getting a stronger one. I preferred the same size or a slightly bigger, about the size of evaporated milk can. Too big was sure overkill, and will consume more electricity too.
Roasted cacao can be easily cracked and shells removed by hand. Mostly, but, few are still hard and need more force to accomplish. My current motor could easily crack most efficiently, but, those hard few causes it to stop. Therefore, I need a stronger.
Getting stronger machine with more power than I needed would be wise. However, it may also cut twigs, stones, plastic pieces and metal that were missed during sorting. I don’t want that to happen. In addition, hard contaminants such as stone and metal might damage the equipment for the next step, the grinder. My bean cracker should be able to give a sign if unwanted material is present.
Most bean cracker I saw online have large motors. Other claims that theirs could break beans of any hardness with ease, and even stones.
So I got what I think is enough. It was a mere assumption. Geared motor that could be be stopped by my two hands and with pliers grip.
I know I can minimize mistakes by using the standard unit of force. That is true, if I know how much force is needed to crack every bean and not the others. I use the power of trial and error for as long as I don’t know.
So this is the bean cracker with motor installed. I also got aluminum gears and drive belt from the same store. The belt tensioner was 3d printed. The roller assembly was replaced with full steel.
I can’t wait to test it and do more revision.