I watched a movie scene where a lady dug camote and ate it raw. Camote can really be eaten raw. The lady ate camote because she had no other food to eat.
Today, camote should be part of diet even if you have more money to buy or prepare expensive dishes. Camote is the world’s healthiest food, this is according to statement of North Athlantic Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging. The tuber is indeed healthy due to following reasons.
1) An energy food because of high carbohydrate contents. It can replace rice in diet. But Filipinos cannot do the switch because we are rice eating country. For me and others, a bread breakfast will not suffice.
2) Good for diabetics. It helps stabilize blood sugar levels by increasing adiponectin, an important factor of insulin metabolism. It has moderate glycemic index of 50.
3) High in dietary fiber and low fat content. Good for the heart and tummy. Fibers help reduce bad cholesterol and ease bowel movement.
4) Deep colored yellow camote contains lutein and beta carotene. Antioxidants to prevent rapid aging and maintain good eyesight. Eat yellow camote instead of taking eye supplement.
5) Have lots of essential minerals and vitamins. Manganese, copper, potassium, iron, Vitamin – E, C, B6, B2, and A. Its like a combination of rice and vegetables in a single package. But eating camote repeatedly is boring, have an alternate or try to mix it with other healthy foods.
6) An effective detoxifying agent. It adsorb heavy metals and take it out of the system. Metals such as lead, arsenic and mercury accumulate in our body due to consumption of commercially processed foods. They should be taken out before harming any tissues.