Let as admit it, we often resort to home remedies when having dry cough. The common remedy methods often originated from relatives, home, tradition, books, experiences and internet. It may or may not be effective depending on type and severity of symptoms. It even worsen the illness sometimes.
According to doctor’s advice, the following should not be taken when suffering from dry cough.
1) Anything sweet. Pure sugar, honey, candies, menthol candies and sore throat lozenges such as Strepsils.
2) Hot and lukewarm water. This includes hot coffee, tea and hot soups.
3) Anything salty. The pure salt, mixture of water and salt, salty junk foods and salty dishes.
4) Any fruits. The real reason is not clear but I think it is related to sweetness. The sweet orange and astringent calamansi are included in listing.
5) Anything cold. It simply worsen cough. Like entering a air conditioned room and cold places.
The reasons to refrain taking items one to four – They tend to dry the throat more resulting to more irritation, pain and coughing. Many websites are recommending items one to three. They were also include in my previous articles, “What am I taking to cure sore throat and cough“, “Roasted Calamansi, Heavy Sugar Syrup and cough” and “Pointers and Myths While Experiencing Common Colds and Cough“.
The doctor’s advice is to take a sip of plain drinking water frequently. Water moisten the throat relieving irritation, pain and coughing. If symptoms persist see him in her office for proper prescription.
Spices such as onion, ginger, cayenne pepper and turmeric can be taken as first aid only. Their effect wear out immediately when the hot spicy sensation ceases. Spices only mask irritation. It never take it away.