Please be reminded that the following are not cures for cramps, they are prevention method instead.
There are two types of muscles, the voluntary and involuntary. Voluntary in which the movement can be controlled, raising a hand, walking, running and punching the person next to you. They are muscle movement which can be controlled at mind’s will. On the other hand, involuntary muscles move on their own. Examples of involuntaries are muscles of heart, stomach and lungs.
Muscles move by contraction and relaxation. Muscle contraction beyond will is called spasm. A maintained spasm brings pain and it is called cramps.
Medication is often not necessary. It occurs spontaneously. It often ceases before any medication takes effect.
The following foods are useful for cramps prevention.
1) Bananas and other potassium rich foods. Banana is not the only food rich in potassium. Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables daily would suffice. Banana is often recommended however.
2) Vitamin B supplements or Vitamin rich foods for pregnant women.
3) Milk, cheese, yogurt and other calcium rich foods. It promotes healthy bones.
4) Spinach, broccoli, dark leafy vegetables, whole grains, nuts and other magnesium rich foods.
5) Water or electrolyte drinks. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Drinking electrolyte drinks such as Pocari Sweat and Gatorate is recommended for athletes and persons involving in heavy works.