Love curry? You should because it contains turmeric, locally known as luyang dilaw, that has many health benefits.
1) Has anti-inflammatory action, support liver health and contain lots of antioxidant according to Jonny Bowden
2) A potent tonic according to Phyllis A. Balch.
3) Has the ability to kill tumor cells according to study of Jayaraj Ravindran, Sahdeo Prasad and Bharat B. Aggarwal
4) Carminative – medication that prevents the formation of gas in the alimentary tract or eases its passing
5) Stimulant – drug that temporarily quickens some vital process.
6) Emmenagogue – promotes menstrual discharge.
7) Cordial – strong highly flavored sweet liquor usually drunk after a meal. Drink for its warming effect.
8) Juice of fresh rhizome can be applied to wounds, bruises and leech-bites.
9) Turmeric and gingelly prevents skin eruptions
10) Hot luyang dilaw with lime and saltpeter can cure sprain and bruises.
11) Turmeric powder can facilitate the scabbing of smallpox and chickenpox.
12) Flowers are used to eliminate ringworms and other parasitic diseases.
13) The decoction can cure purulent conjunctivitis.
14) One to 20 parts decoction (turmeric to water) can be applied to catarrhal and purulent ophthalmia. Apply externally by means of clean cloth piece.
15) Turmeric ointment is used to relieved neuralgia and rheumatism
16) Rhizomes with coconut oil can be used to cure stomach disorders and vulnerary.
17) Anthelmintic – capable of causing the evacuation of parasitic intestinal worms
18) Fever cure.
19) Fumes of burning luyang dilaw can cure catarrh or severe head colds.
In our locality, the turmeric plant is rare. Farmers are weeding out this plant because the plant is very similar to a persistent weed, barak. Their rhizomes are also similar. The only difference is the inside color of flesh. Barak has white flesh while luyang dilaw has yellow.
Turmeric is widely use as natural food coloring and a spice. Commonly available as powder preparation.
update as of July 2016
Recently, I notice the craze on turmeric products especially in form of instant preparations. Instant ginger powder with turmeric, 7-in-1, 11-in-1 and so on.
For clarification, they are not the instant powder prepared in commercial way. They are traditionally prepared by mixing rhizome extract, other desired medicinal herbs, and ultimately sugar as carrier. The mixture is boiled until all undesired liquid is evaporated. What left are sugar plus the remnants of other added ingredients. Resulting product is often too sweet.
There are scientific studies proving turmeric health benefits. In fact they too many to almost endless. Anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, skin toning and fat burning properties are included. The herb is now being called as “The Most Potent Super Spice”.