Food Standards Agency warns against eating of raw oyster due to possible risk of norovirus infection or the winter vomiting bug.
According to Interstate Shellfish Sanitation Conference (ISSC ), symptoms of norovirus infection include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramping. Affected individuals often experience low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. Most people show symptoms within 48 hours of exposure to the virus, with the illness lasting one to two days. However, the illness can become serious for the very young, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.
Individual can get the disease from foods contaminated with norovirus, surfaces and objects contaminated with virus and direct contact with people showing its symptoms. Opps! and eating raw oysters, mussels and their relatives.
Most of us know that oyster and mussels are stationary sea creatures. They have no capacity to transport themselves from one place to another to look for food. They gather their food through filtration. They filter water as it pass through their path and capture all foods. Through the process of filtration, bacteria, viruses and other disease causing microorganisms may accumulate inside oysters’ body.
Cooking shellfish before eating is highly recommended. A single person infection can be an outbreak the day after. Remember, the norovirus can be transmitted through person to person and person to object contact.