Escherichia coli 0157 is a type of infectious bacteria, other E. coli species causes no harm to human.
The most susceptible to E. coli infection are children. Extreme care should be practice to avoid serious illness. Most treatments are only supportive and do not kill bacteria immediately.
Symptoms of E. coli infection are:
1) Diarrhea, the most common symptom. This can be worse and life-threatening.
2) Some infected people develop a serious illness called haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS). It may cause kidney failure.
Some methods to prevent the spread of E. coli infection are:
1) Observed proper hygiene in preparation and storage of food.
2) Always keep the toilet and other facilities clean and disinfected.
3) Check your water supply. Providing a water filtration and sterilization system might help.
4) Practice regular hand washing.