Choosing between two or more food brands is relatively easy. We choose the well known brands and seldom buy the locally produced. Popular products had established their trustworthiness through years of operation. Or rapidly by means of mass media advertising. Television is the most powerful. A newly lunched product today will be talk of the town within two days of aggressive television broadcast. Then it will be the popular choice for most grocers.
Small producers who cannot afford expensive media coverage and wide area of distribution are often treated inferior.We feel we are not safe from eating those. I notice many local brands last on shelves for moths and more. However, if you are willing to gamble a couple of penny. You will discover that most of them are far safer than television advertised product. They could also be better in terms of organoleptic properties.
The main weakness of small processors is the fact that they are still small but it could also their biggest advantage.
1) They produce in small batches. Any untoward incidents can be corrected easily. Product recall can be done in a very short period of time.
2) Mistakes can be corrected promptly. All operations are simple. Workers can identify the problem origin cause there are no secrets in the whole recipe.
3) Simple management. We all know that it is more efficient to handle five workers than hundreds. Disobedient can be identified and replaced more effectively.
4) Business owner is the hands on manager. If not, he often have time to check the establishment.
5) Open to visitors. Do you know why it is not fun to visit big manufacturing companies? They won’t allow you to enter their processing area. You may see it but not near enough. It is more convenient to eat foods if you know how they are made? Am I right?
6) Advertisements are often done through word of mouth. When a friend of yours tell a certain food is delicious. The probability of its truthfulness is high. Ads might be misleading but your friend is not.
image courtesy of ms powerpoint