Do you know how long it is to quantitatively determine food properties? It may take hours to weeks depending on food type and number of target properties. Percent moisture alone takes about 15 minutes on a the most sophisticated gravimetric type instrument. Standard crude fat takes eight hours. Protein takes about five hours and over depending on sample size.
What if there is an instrument which is able to analyze food properties in just three seconds. As easy as placing the sample under the instrument then the desired properties will be displayed on monitor after three seconds. The instrument I am referring to is the Perten DA 7250 and variants. Powerful optical instruments when supplied with good calibration data.
May 30, 2013. I was one of the few persons who were invited to the product launching of “The Latest in NIR Diode Array Technology for Food, Feed and Flour Analyses”. Why was I invited was a little secret.
Discussing the topic NIR technology and the instrument, Perten 7250, seems like writing a novel so I just cite of of its advantages and shortcomings.
1) Fast, requires only three seconds for every analysis run.
2) Could be installed on processing lines, to monitor and adjust product composition as quickly as possible.
3) It assures product quality especially when installed on processing lines.
4) Minimize waste, product recall and rework.
5) Able to determine multiple properties with accuracy and precision.
1) Expensive. A single instrument cost more or less 4.7 million.
2) Every single commodity requires its own calibration model. A calibration for wheat is for wheat only and cannot be used to determine properties of coffee.
3) The same commodity of different states require separate calibration sets. A calibration data for white corn is not suitable for yellow corn.
4) Each calibration model cost more or less 700,000 pesos.
Well, if you own factories as big as San Miguel Brewery, Coca Cola Bottling and Nestle Ice Cream. Then, investing for couple of devices is very advantageous to your side. All the mentioned disadvantages have no bearing.