This is the standard specifications for vinegar. The regulation was published by Department of Health under ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 134 s. 1970 with the subject “Regulation Prescribing the Standard of Identity and Quality of Vinegar”
a) Vinegar is the liquid produced by alcoholic and/or acetous fermentations of one or more of the following: malt, spirit, wine, cider, alcoholic liquors, fruits, grain, vegetables, honey, glucose, sugar (including unrefined crystal sugar and refinery syrups) or molasses.
1. Sugar vinegar is the product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of sugar cane juice, sucrose, molasses or refiner’s sugar.
2. Malt vinegar is the product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentation of barley malt, or cereals whose starch has been converted to malt.
3. Coco vinegar is the product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of the sap of coconut palm.
4. Pineapple vinegar is the product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of pineapple juice.
5. Nipa-sap vinegar (sucang puti, native vinegar) is the product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of the sap of nipa palm (Nipa fruticans Worm)
b) Distilled vinegar is the liquid produced by acetous fermentation of dilute distilled alcohol or by the distillation of vinegar.
2. Optional ingredients
a) Caramel may be used as a coloring in any variety of vinegar without declaration on the label.
b) Flavoring may be used in any variety of vinegar, provided its nature is declared on the label.
3. Standard of Quality
a) All vinegar shall have an acidity of not less than 4% by weight of absolute acetic acid except nipa sap vinegar which shall have an acidity of not less than 3%.
b) All vinegar shall contain not less than 1.5% w/v of total solids and 0.18% of ash, except nipa-sap
vinegar which shall contain not less than 2.2% of solids and not less than 0.4% of ash.
c) All vinegar shall contain foreign substances, drugs, sulfuric acid or other mineral acids.
d) All vinegar shall contain not more than 18 parts per million of lead, 66 parts per million of copper and 1.5 parts per million of arsenic.
e) Malt vinegar shall have at least 0.05% of phosphorous pentoxide (P2O5) and 0.4% of nitrogen.
f) Vinegar containing any artificial matter such as synthetic acetic acid, or cloudifying agent shall be
deemed to be adulterated and its sale is thereby prohibited.