Wafer Sticks in PVC container | Bottle for beverage use only

champola-wafer-sticks-bottom-pet

Wafer Sticks in PVC container…

Recently, I noticed that packaging of popular wafer stick brands are made of PVC, polyvinyl chloride plastics. It’s weird, the generally recommended polymer for food use is PP, polypropylene.

wafer stick cylinder container

According to wiki, PVC is not fit as food packaging cause of the plasticizers use in manufacture are usually toxic. Mostly pthalates or compounds based on esters of polycarboxylic acids – the latter is chosen on the basis of low toxicity.

wafer-stick-container-pvc

Smell of the new car interior, new PVC pipes and new electrical equipment is due to plasticizers. Plasticizers are reaching our sense of smell. It’s the popular Tagalog term, “amoy bago (smells like new)”.

PVC when used as food container, the plasticizers odor will be absorb by content. On the other hand, it can be used if enough time is allowed for the odor to vent off.  No pasteurization or sterilization, it has a low heat tolerance of about 60ºC.

Update as of June 5, 2012. The Champola Wafer Sticks I bought from Mercury Drug was in PET jar.  I found another empty jar at home. It was also a pet plastic.

champola-wafer-sticks

champola-wafer-sticks-bottom-pet


update as of June 2016

Please see update article about PVC safety, “Is PVC Food Safe?


Bottle for Beverage use only…

Bottle is the most inert food packaging. No food will react to it. I can be used to infinity as long as it is clean and contains no cracks. Then why a reminder was printed on bottle surface?

bottle beverage use only.

For two reasons:

1) Hygiene. If all people follows, then the company needs to do only less effort in cleaning. No candy wrappers, cigarette buts, soils, stones, oil, paint and other potentially harmful chemicals to removed.

2) Safety. The bottle is manufactured for food use. Printed with indelible label.  If someone fill a liquid of similar color with no distinguishing smell and tampered label, someone might drink it accidentally.

A true to life story. A very tired and thirsty father hurriedly opened the refrigerator. Got a bottle of water and drank it. The bottle content was formalin. It was too late!


Ads

Be the first to leave a comment. Don’t be shy.

Join the Discussion