I thought I could make french fries from cassava. I tried and succeeded.
The following procedure is different from this french fries recipe. I removed the pesky fry-freeze-fry method.
Here it goes…
1) Wash cassava to remove adhering dirt and soil.
2) Cut off both ends. Peel off the skin by making a narrow spiral incision and prying if off slowly with a sharp knife.
3) Again, wash and rinse well.
4) Cut to desired sizes. The shape and length similar to french fries. Do this carefully, cassava is much harder than potatoes. Use a sharp and sturdy knife.
5) Fry in oil over very low heat for about ten minutes. Two minutes fry over high flame will result to crunchy outside but raw inside. Ten minutes fry over low heat results to crunchy outside and dry soft inner. Adjust the heat so that surface turns golden brown after about ten minutes.
6) Place in strainer or clean towel to drain off excess oil.