Jackfruit seeds are very slippery. It often slip from my hand. I need to pick it up twice or thrice before I can shoot to my basket.
Every time we get ripe jackfruit, we have two choices what to do next. Either we sell it or just eat it. We sell good fruits and eat fruits with damaged. We gather banana leaves. Place langka on leaves. Cut to halves. Remove the damaged part. Remove the woody central part. Wipe off latex with newspaper. Then start collecting the yummy flesh (lamukot) one by one. The seed collection also start.
Warning: Cooking oil is needed to grease hands and bolo. Fruit latex is very hard to removed if grease is not applied before operation.
Jackfruit seeds are edible but many folks are ignoring them. They never bother collecting and cooking the yummy seeds.
We are cooking the seeds. Boil for more than half hour or until tender. Pinch of salt is added to taste. Seeds are good for snacks. However, there is one thing I never like. The seed has outer covering which is very slippery and hard to removed. This can be solved by the following steps:
1) Collect jackfruit seeds.
2) Wash thoroughly to removed dirt and foreign matter.
3) Rinse well and set aside in a strainer until seeds surface are dry.
4) Make a slice on every seed. These will facilitate easy coat removal.
5) Add enough water to soak the seeds.
6) Mix salt or sugar depending on your preference.
7) Boil for 45 minutes or until tender.
8) Remove from heat and strain. Allow seed surface to dry before eating. Wet surface is very slippery.