Prune is originally a dried plum. Filipinos are very creative, they adapted the technology to make balimbing prunes.
Get yourself ready and prepare the prunes.
1. Select good quality firm fruits. Overripe and fruits with rots cannot be included cause it will cause a bad end product.
2. Wash thoroughly. Remove the sharp edges and prick the middle part. Pricking is necessary to allow better penetration of lime and syrup.
3. Prepare lime solution by mixing 4 tsp of lime in 8 cups of water. Soak 3 kilos of balimbing in lime solution for 12 hrs.
4. Rinse thoroughly in running water.
5. Add 2 k brown sugar, 3 tsp salt, ½ cup soy sauce, ¼ tsp. cinnamon, 1 pc. bay leaf and 1 tsp. calamansi juice
6. Cook until the fruit becomes dark brown. Cool. Let stand overnight. Drain.
7. Dry in oven at 70 °C until it become tough. Sun drying may do if conditions are favorable.