Love eating french fries? If you do, then you should also try eating camote french fries! It has the same crunchy outside and soft inside texture. Unfortunately, such product cannot be bought yet from McDonalds and Jollibee, you need to make your own.
Get your favorite sweet potato variety. Wash, peel and cut to sizes similar to regular french fries. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
Drip excess oil by placing it in strainer for few seconds and or on sheets of manila paper or towel for one minute.
Place the camote slices in freezer compartment for two hours or until frozen. While still frozen, deep-fry again until golden brown. Place the fries in strainer and allow excess oil to drip for few seconds.
Serve. Can be sprinkled with cheese powder if desired.
I am not a picky eater but I never eat camote tops, pechay, mustard, ampalaya and other vegetables that have a bitter taste. I usually asked money from my mother to buy an egg when the menu on table was not fit for my taste. But those days are history.
Things started to change when my co-employees invited me to their house to do some extra-curricular work, extra money eh. Most of the time I eat lunch and dinner with him. And its not nice to eat with him because he love to eat ampalaya. He told me that I can eat ampalaya if I will mix it little by little with my rice. I did the thing because I do not want him to get embarrassed. The technique worked, I slowly appreciated bitter gourd as one of the most delicious and nutritious vegetable.
Another person who helped me to appreciate bitter vegetables was my wife. She often prepare dishes with these bitter vegetables. Now, I love eating camote tops, pechay, mustard, ampalaya and other bitter-tasting vegetables. However, I cannot eat raw ampalaya yet but I know that I can overcome it sooner.
Sweet potato (Ipomea batatas), locally knon as “kamote or camote”, is commonly planted in flat to slightly rolling open areas. The crop is also known to be a cheap but excellent source of carbohydrates, vitamin A, carotene, calcium, and phosporus. It is also a fair source of thiamine and iron but a poor source of riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin C.
1 3/4 – steamed sweet potato
1 1/2 cups – water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup + tsp sugar
1 tbsp – salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
3/8 tsp cinnamon
0.44g strawberry red/food colors
0.25g egg yolk
1. Blend all ingredients in 3-4 minutes.
2. Cook the blended ingredients.
3. Fill into sterilized bottles and then pasteurize for 30 minutes.
SWEET POTATO HOTCAKE
1 pc egg (medium to large size)
1 1/4 cups water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
100g sweet potato
1. Pre-heat frying pan and brush the surface with oil or margarine.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg, add the liquid ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Add 100g Sweet potato Hotcake mix to the bowl and blend well.
4. Pour enough butter to the pan to get desired sizes of hotcake.
5. Turn once when top is bubbly and edges start to dry.
6. Serve hot with margarine and sugar, jam or jelly.
SWEET POTATO JAM
1 cup steam sweet potato
1 1/3 cups water
2 1/4 cups + tbsp refined sugar
1/8 tsp food grade fruit citric acid
1. Blend steamed sweet potato with water and fleshy portion of desired fruit flavor for 5 minutes.
2. Cook the blended ingredients.
3. Add citric acid or calamansi juice.
4. Fill into sterilized jars.
SWEET POTATO FLOUR
1. Wash and peel good quality sweet potato roots. Slice thinly.
2. Dry the chips under the sun or use an artificial dryer until chips crack.
3. Grind the dried chips using an 80 mesh sieve. Grind the dried chips using an 80 mesh sieve.
Grind the coarse flour and sift again. Pack the fine flour.
Source: Plant Industry Production Guide on Sweet Potato,
BPI Sweet Potato Commodity Profile
DA-Eastern Visayas Integrated Agricultural Research Center
The health benefits of camote tops might convince you to each such leaves.
Camote tops have the highest content of total polyphenolics among other commercial vegetables studied.
Contain protein, dietary fiber, lipid, and essential minerals and nutrients such as calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, potassium, sulfur, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, aluminum and boron.
Important sources of vitamin A, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and ascorbic acid.”
Excellent sources of antioxidative compounds, mainly polyphenolics, which may protect the human body from oxidative stress that is associated with many diseases including cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
Camote tops may be a cure for Dengue. See the news!