What I do not like with biscuits and chips? It stale so fast. It should be eaten immediately after opening. Its crispiness will surely loss after a while and will not be enjoyable to eat. Some with defective packaging are already stale even before opening.
For the sake of this article only. Stale refers to any softened crackers, chips and biscuits. Perfectly safe for human consumption but the peak of palatability is already lost. Stale may also refer to granulated and or moldy biscuits. The last two defects are not reversible.
Crunchiness or crispiness does not belong to any taste category but it has a big impact on food flavor. Skyflakes cracker is a biscuit with no perceptible flavor. However, eating it is very enjoyable. Why? Because of the crispy texture. I never like eating a softened Skyflakes. Banana and potato chips are good even without flavorings.
Biscuits and chips are dry products. When exposed for long period, sufficient atmospheric moisture maybe absorbed. Then softening will occur. It can be returned to its previous peak of palatability by driving the moisture away.
Heat it in microwave oven. Different products and brands and extent of staleness require different time and temperature combination. Try a single or two samples before loading a bigger batch.
Not applicable for chocolate filled biscuits.
Banana Peel Crackers
1) Choose ripe latundan banana. Eat and set aside the peels for later use. Refrigeration will allow longer storage life. Peels of latundan banana are ideal for this purpose, thin and slightly astringent. I tried using saba banana peels. The peels are thick and has strong astringent taste – sobrang pakla.
2) Cut the peels according to size preference.
3) Beat egg in a separate bowl. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Other flavors such as barbecue and chili maybe added.
4) Dip banana peel strips in beaten egg then roll well on flour.
5) Heat oil over medium heat. Fry the banana peel strips until golden brown. Serve.
1) Get onions. Remove the dried scales. Then separate each scale by hand. Or cut into half and separate scales.
2) Follow steps 2 to 4 of banana peel crackers.
3) Heat oil over a low flame. Fry until onion pieces float. Do not over fry. Raw onion scale is crunchy already. Long frying will soften the onions.
Vegetarian chicharon can be made out of this recipe. Just replace shrimp with your favorite fruits and vegetables.
2 cup rice
1/2 cup shrimps
2 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp MSG
food color (optional)
1. Soak rice overnight or 20 minutes in hot water. Drain well
2. Grind rice and shrimp.
3. Add salt and msg. Mix well. Food coloring can be added if desired.
4. Mold thinly in tray greased with small amount of oil.
5. Place in a double boiler for 1 to 3 minutes.
6. Cut to desired size or 1″ x 2″ x 1/6″.
7. Arrange in trays and dry for six hours or until brittle.
8. Pack, label and store.
1. Ibabad ang bigas nang magdamag o sa mainit na tubig nang 20 minuto. Patuluing mabuti.
2. Gilingin ang bigas at hipon ng magkaroon ng mahipis na masa.
3. Idagdag ang asin at vetsin. Lagyan ng food coloring kung gusto. Haluing mabuti.
4. Ilipat ang manipis na masa (2-3 kutsara) sa isang kawaling pinahiran ng konting mantika.
5. Pasingawan ng 1-3 minuto hanggang ang timplada ay maging malinaw.
6. Hiwain sa tamang piraso (1″ x 2″ x 1/6″).
7. Ilipat sa patuyuang bandehado at ibilad sa araw nang 6 na oras hanggang lumutong.
8. Itago sa malamig at tuyong lugar.