I harvested the setup a day before due. It can’t be helped, I have office work tomorrow and sure will be busy finishing some reports.
Before opening, a bulging plastic cover can be noticed. It was due to carbon dioxide build up within the spacious headspace. It created a partially anaerobic environment preventing the growth of unwanted molds.
I ripped off the cover and the winy astringent aroma quickly ran thru my senses. No signs of mold growth on the surface so all I have to do is get the dark red liquid and put it into good use.
I took a sip. It is slightly fruity and strongly astringent. Flavor differences from my previous trial was negligible.
I was repeating the procedure of healthy mangosteen concoction. The first one I made had white mold growths. White molds in general are not dangerous and should be negligible. The final product can be consumed safely. The type that I should be afraid of are the black molds. However, molds, regardless of the color make me worry. I wanted a product without any of them.
I secured another set of mangosteen fruits and repeated the process. I included the delectable flesh. Followed the same 1:1 mangosteen to sugar ratio. And… to prevent the mold growth, I covered the jar with polyethylene plastic and fixed it tightly with a masking tape. This sealing mechanism will trap carbon dioxide produced by fermentation process but allows exit of excess (thus preventing possible jar burst) and restrict the entry of oxygen which is required for mold growth. In case the seal is too tight to allow exit of too much CO2, the polyethylene cover will slowly bulge, giving me a sign to do extra measure.
I am also hoping that inclusion of delectable mangosteen pulp counteracts the astringent taste to some extent.
Update expected after 15 days. Jump to read the update.