Making potato fries may involve, frying over high flame for about one minute or until soft, draining off excess oil, freezing and deep frying on medium to high flame for five minutes while still frozen. The steps result to unique french fries texture – crispy outside and soft inner. See “How to Make French Fries” for more information.
What if I want to discard freezing and the second deep frying? Could I still make a crunchy soft potato fries?
The answer is yes. Here are the finalized tips after several trial and error runs.
1) Select potatoes. Wash to remove adhering dirt and soils. Peel off the skin.
2) Slice to desired stick sizes. Perhaps a size similar to regular french fries.
3) Add cooking oil to Teflon pan – to prevent potato sticking to pan in case something went wrong.
4) Set the fire to medium. Begin adding slices when a single stick in oil is producing bubbles rapidly.
5) Stir gently for about one minute then set the flame to low. Then continue frying for another 19 minutes. Twenty minutes low fire frying is needed to attain the crunchy soft texture.
6) Optional, sprinkle flavor of choice.
I thought I could make french fries from cassava. I tried and succeeded.
The following procedure is different from this french fries recipe. I removed the pesky fry-freeze-fry method.
Here it goes…
1) Wash cassava to remove adhering dirt and soil.
2) Cut off both ends. Peel off the skin by making a narrow spiral incision and prying if off slowly with a sharp knife.
3) Again, wash and rinse well.
4) Cut to desired sizes. The shape and length similar to french fries. Do this carefully, cassava is much harder than potatoes. Use a sharp and sturdy knife.
5) Fry in oil over very low heat for about ten minutes. Two minutes fry over high flame will result to crunchy outside but raw inside. Ten minutes fry over low heat results to crunchy outside and dry soft inner. Adjust the heat so that surface turns golden brown after about ten minutes.
6) Place in strainer or clean towel to drain off excess oil.
Serve the cassava fries immediately. It absorbs moisture quickly and turns soft.