I love dirty ice cream when I was young and I am still buying as of date.
It is made in a double wall container. The outer wall has ice- use to harden the ice cream. The inner wall serve as container for ice cream. This is where the ingredients are mixed until they achieved the ice cream consistency.
According to my ancestors, it is called dirty ice cream cause the sweats of the man mixing it is falling to product. The sweat is the secret ingredient but I don’t think it is still secret.
Eating cold food such as sorbetes and ice drop is very refreshing during hot days. It might be the reverse if you know that your favorite is coming from a dirty factory.
Arch Angel Ice Cream, 26B Masbate, Luzviminda Village, Batasan hills, Quezon City. Owned by Resty and Liza Alcantara is manufacturing sorbetes and ice drop. They already have a wide distribution channels like elementary schools.
However, A concerned citizen reported the to GMA7 Imbestigator due to following unsanitary practices:
1) Foul smelling odors, due to spoiled products.
2) Reprocessing products returned by customers.
3) Recycling spoiled raw materials.
4) Using hands as container for transferring and mixing ingredients.
5) Letting the raw materials uncovered on floors.Maybe they have no enough money to buy stainless ladle
6) As seen on camera, A group of cockroaches are aming for an attack.
7) Not just Cockroaches, a rodent was also caught running around.
8) Flooring is a rough cemented floors with soils, dirt and water.
9) Improper raw material storage.
10) No ventilation like exhaust fans.
11) Using of rusty mold and very old rusty and dirty freezer.
12) Workers are bare footed, wearing shorts, no t-shirts and bathing with sweats.
According to analysis of Chempro Analytical Services Laboratories Inc, the product failed the microbial standard and might cause food poisoning.
It was suggested for closure by Quezon city Sanitation Division. All the dangerous goods were confiscated in accordance with Presidential Decree No. 856 code on sanitation.
After few days, they were able to build a new factory, a new clean factory. They promised their customers that they will improve the product quality and cleanliness.
Those who want to start a food processing venture. Please be reminded that food is a very dangerous commodity. Unsanitary practices might convert it to a very potent poison. You may start it small, kitchen scale, but be sure to start it clean and maintain it clean.
Marvin is the lead chocolate maker of Ben and Lyn Chocolate Inc. Has strong background in food research and development. Occasionally conducts training and lectures. Accepts coaching and consultancy services. Lecturer of Cocoa Foundation of the Philippines.