Reasons to Dump Regular Glass Thermometers

This short piece of glass is of great help. It always help us in monitoring temperatures. Temperatures of oven, water, juice, jellies, refrigerator, freezer, air and even body temperature. However, there are other types that do the same function without much risks.

thermometer mercury tip

1) Using glass thermometer is indeed risky. Glass is fragile. Handle it with care to prevent breakage. But accidents do happen and cannot be always avoided. Broken glasses might hurt own’s hand, feet if left scattered on floor…

What are you going to do if broken glasses fall in prepared juice? Simple filtering can remove larger pieces but not minute shrapnels that can cause mouth and internal organ wounds when swallowed.  Glass is an inert material and no stomach acid can degrade it.

2) DOH Administrative Order 2008-0221 – ban of mercury based thermometers starting September 28, 2010. Many hospitals have implemented the ban long before the indicated date. Dangerous mercury is the reason. Mercury in any form is toxic. It enters the body through swallowing, inhalation and absorption to skin and mucous membranes. Imagine a piece of mercury in hand separated by a thin piece of glass. Scary! Never sure if the order was also effective on food industry.

If the piece of mercury based thermometer is broken and fell to food, then the food should be dispose immediately. Removing mercury and broken glass pieces is not possible.

3) It is hard to read. I have been using  this type of thermometer since elementary grade. I always find it hard to read, finding a fine line along a sealed glass tubing.

Switch to dial type or digital thermometer with a stainless steel tip.


Getting Mercury (Methylmercury) from Eating Canned Tuna!

Love eating tuna? I love eating tuna too especially the canned version. It contains omega-3 fatty acid, a marketing strategy of most brands. When eating the commodity, I never worry about getting extra fat because it contains less. Maybe I should worry about the added preservatives.

Preservatives? I don’t think so!  Tuna might contain a dangerous substance that is worth doubting of, the mercury in the form of methylmercury. Environmental Protectin Agency (EPA) stated that the acute lethal dose for most inorganic mercury compounds for an adult is 1 to 4 grams (g) or 14 to 57 milligrams per kilogram body weight (mg/kg) for a 70-kg person. Mercury is also related to formation of certain types of cancer.canned tuna

ConsumerReports.org conducted mercury test of 42 cans and pouches and tuna. Moste of the samples were bought from New York.

Results of analysis are as follows:

Every sample contained measurable levels of mercury, ranging from 0.018 to 0.774 parts per million. The Food and Drug Administration can take legal action to pull products containing 1 ppm or more from the market. (It never has, according to an FDA spokesman.) The EPA compiles fish advisories when state and local governments have found high contaminant levels in certain locally caught fish.

Samples of white tuna had 0.217 to 0.774 ppm of mercury and averaged 0.427 ppm. By eating 2.5 ounces of any of the tested samples, a woman of childbearing age would exceed the daily mercury intake that the EPA considers safe.

Samples of light tuna had 0.018 to 0.176 ppm and averaged 0.071 ppm. At that average, a woman of childbearing age eating 2.5 ounces would get less than the EPA’s limit, but for about half the tested samples, eating 5 ounces would exceed the limit.

Do you still love eating tuna?

Factories discharge wastes to bodies of water. Some of the wastes are mercury. Small fishes gather mercury through feeding. Then tuna feed on these small fishes. Mercury accumulates in tuna body by eating a large number of small fish over its long lifetime. Accumulation of toxic mercury might also happen in our body.