Not all juices are created equal. There are affordable juices. Affordable that buying one is cheaper than getting a bottled water. There are expensive juices, you’re gonna think that buying a fresh fruit is better, cheaper and healthier.
Okay! In its strictest sense, most processed juice cannot beat its natural counterpart. Tomato which the phytochemical lycopene is released during heating is an exception. Heating process usually strips fruits of its nutrients.
In case you really need or cannot avoid buying a processed juice, there are two main points to consider.
1) Number of Ingredients. If there are too many ingredients. Then, it is likely that you are getting too little of real juice. The lack of natural sap is being masked by too many flavorings and preservatives. According to… any food from grocery shelf with more than five ingredients is not healthy.
2) The Type of Ingredients. If the ingredients you see are few but with terms such as “artificial and nature identical”, then turn and look for better options.
I think this Del Monte 100% Pineapple Juice is a good example. It only has four ingredients namely, natural pineapple juice, ascorbic acid, Vitamin A and Vitamin E. It is not really 100% percent cause of four ingredients declared.
As its name suggest, it’s a natural juice from pineapple. Vitamin A and Vitamin E as nutrient fortification while ascorbic acid serves two purposes, as nutrient fortification and preservative. The latter farther increased the pineapple juice acidity making it not conducive for bacterial growth.
This canned pineapple juice is more sour and less sweet.
1) Convenience. Preparing Calamansi juice from fruit every morning takes several minutes. Slicing to halves, squeezing, removing the seeds, adding water and mixing sugar to taste. Then washing hands and utensils afterwards.
Preparing juice from concentrate is easier. Pour desired amount of concentrate and water then mix well.
A ready juice in can is the most convenient. Just open the can and drink. No hassles of preparations. People with a hectic schedule or the lazy individuals often opt for this product.
2) Price. The cost of commercially prepared juice is often lower than the fruit itself. Lower pricing is possible due to usage of water, artificial flavors and other extenders.
3) Taste difference. Natural calamansi has astringent taste, mapakla. The taste is caused by breakage of seeds during preparation. It still has a trace of astringency after avoiding the breakage of any seeds.
Commercial juice drink manufacture has a way to removed the astringent taste by using niringinase and flavorings.
4) We are not conscious about our health. We eat and eat delicious foods continuously. We never mind if it can bring danger to health or not. We are starting to watch the foods we eat after having symptoms of illness.
We often eat less carrots. Why? Because we always use carrots for vegetables. To enjoy it more. You can get some carrots . Remove the peels. Blend it in waring blender with some water. Add some sugar to taste. Now you have your natural carrot juice. Natural is always better.
Here are some benefits of carrots
- Carrots are excellent for the eyes.
- Carrots contains large quantities of vitamin A, in the form of beta carotene.
- Juicing a carrot removes the indigestible fiber. Thus, the nutrients in it are available to the body in much larger quantities than if the carrot was eaten whole. This is because many of the nutrients are trapped in the fibre, and while fibre aids digestion, some part of the fibre is indigestible. Thus, you don’t get the benefits of the nutrients that are trapped in the indigestible fibre. Did you know that if you eat a carrot raw, you only get access to about 1% of the available beta carotene? But, when you or your child has a glass of carrot juice, you your system absorbs almost 100% or the beta carotene!
- Does your child drink more Pepsi or Coke than water? While you may feel that these are just sweetened substitutes, you are wrong. In fact, these beverages have substances that require more water to eliminate them from the system. So, whenever your child asks for a soft drink, give him juice instead. Juice increases the water intake.
- Carrot juice has anti-carcinogen properties. Thus, it helps prevent cancer. It is also believed to have cancer-curing properties.
- Beta carotene is an anti-oxidant, and thus it prevents cell degeneration. Anti-oxidants also slow down the ageing process. Another fruit which is an excellent anti-oxidant is the berry.
- Carrots are also good for the skin.
- Carrot juice is like a tonic. It will improve the overall health of you and your child, and increase immunity. In fact, two glasses of carrot juice a day can increase your immunity by as much as 70%!
- Carrot juice is rich in so many minerals, that it’s no less than a miracle juice! You could also add some spinach or beetroot to your carrot juice. Squeeze some lime into the glass, add seasoning if you must, and a tasty glass packed with nutrients is ready!